9 things to help you in your goals
As a longtime DragonConner I have seen how many people can really use this group. It can be 10 pounds or 100 plus, just wanting to tighten up, or change your life in a big way! I know we can help each other and be that Geeky fabulous place where no one cares that you bum jiggles, that you have a lot of weight to lose, or that you have been chasing your goal for decades. f you have friends that could use a Con goer filled community to help reach one of these goals please share. I plan to post on all the DragonCon FBs again tomorrow. It is important to me to reach as many people as possible. There have been a few times at each DragonCon where I have just wanted to go tell someone they are not alone in the struggle. A few years ago there was a SuperGirl that I could tell was uncomfortable in the costume but she wore it and I made sure I told her how great she looked. She deserved to know because no matter how many times she tugged that costume down she was able to wear it!
10% of weight loss can make a huge difference!
If you really need to lose weight make that your first goal. So if you are 190 that is 19 pounds. 275 is 27.5 but 28 is a more fabulous number so let's use that as goal.
10% can get you off meds, stop damage to joints, and make you sleep more deeply. If you are heavy you know how much extra weight can hurt when you just have to carry it around all day.
The next time you are in a supermarket find something that weights 10 pounds and pick it up - then walk down the aisle carrying it!
Every time you lose an amount of weight that you can easily find in a supermarket go and walk that weight around for just a minute! You may get looks but the looks are worth feeling the difference in what is on your body wearing out your joints!
Here are a couple of things to help if weightloss is your goal - though they can help with the just getting into shape aspect as well.
1) Exercise is cumulative!
This means if you do 3 workouts that are each 10 mins. in the same day that is 30 mins! Really!
2) Building muscle helps burn calories even after your workout. Muscle is very active and burns much more calories than fat. It used to be believed that fat was totally inactive. We now know that is not really true. There is some cellular function that requires a tiny amount of caloric output but it is tiny. I am not talking about Brown Fat which is very active. You should look that up because it is interesting.
3) There has been an amazing finding that if you do 30 min. workout and then reat for 20 mins before doing 30 mins more you burn more calories. The data on this has been so interesting!
So 30 mins. of intense Cardio 20 min. read a book and drink some water 30 cardio.
4) Mornings are the best time to get in a workout if you want to make sure you get it in that day. Humans are odd. We plan, make goals, buy the exercise clothes, put out the workout shoes, and then get busy and miss our workout.
Just get it over with and do that every day. Any extra workout you get in after you have done the morning workout is just gravy on plan of your new body!
5) A 10pound weightloss is roughly a dress size smaller. This does vary person to person but keep it in mind. For you it may be 15 or even 20 per size. But read the next info and this might help with the whys.
6) That weight you lose at the beginning of a diet, weightloss plan, workout regime, is generally made up of mostly fluids you are retaining. We can retain a lot more than we think is possible. Some people carry 20 pounds of excess fluid! So that initial 10 pound weightloss is likely fluid and may be why you are not down a dress, or for the guys a pant, size as is mentioned in #5.
7) I have already posted about the water needs but her is a little detail that is very important - the more fat you have the more water is needed! So take your weight, be really honest with yourself, and half of it is your target for daily water.
Ex. 275pound person needs 1/2 of that weight in oz. of water.
So 275 needs 137.5 ( we will say 138) ounces of water.
There are 128 ounces in a gallon so you need a Gallon plus 10 ounces.
Walking is the best way to lose belly fat. Really! Walking seems to have some extra reaction with that area. Don't believe me? Get out the tape measure and record your waist measurements and plan to do this every two weeks. Then start walking! I mean WALKING! Not a stroll - sweat and move. Add hills as you can and add some distance. Then let me know what has changed measurement wise.
9) We all should be getting 10,000 steps a day. That means we should all be walking 10,000 steps a day everyday. This is right around 5 miles. Do it anyway you can but get those steps in! Start slowly. Maybe a slow 1/2 mile if you really have weight to lose or health issues. As you can add more time and get more steps in. Work toward that 5 mile a day mark and when you reach it push past it!
I know this was a very long post and I will probably break it down into one item a day over the next 9 days. The most important thing is move and remembering to track your food and exercise. Calories in and calories burned!